Mouse pointer not visible, can't access menus

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
ARad

Mouse pointer not visible, can't access menus

Post by ARad »

Suddenly my mouse pointer is invisible.

- Can still pan and move a point cloud in the display window.
- Can see where the mouse is from the reaction of the menu items and buttons, and the individual lines in the DB Tree.
- Can press buttons such as changing the view angle and they work.
- Cannot open or select a submenu, however.

Since I'm using a plugin to do some MLS Smoothing I'm stuck.

Rebooted machine, no joy.
Then uninstalled and reinstalled CC, rebooted, no joy.
Uninstalled, Downloaded new CloudCompare_v2.9.0.beta_setup_x64.exe, reinstalled, no joy.

Thanks!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Mouse pointer not visible, can't access menus

Post by daniel »

Ah, that's interesting ;)

Actually the mouse pointer is not managed by CC itself. Normally it should be done by Windows, but I guess there may be some potential actions done by Qt (the portable framework on which CC is built). Have you updated your graphic card driver recently? And what graphic card is it by the way?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
ARad

Post by ARad »

No recent changes.

Was working several hours ago.

Intel HD 530 Graphics
Nvidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Is the issue reproducible with both graphic cards? (you can see which one is used in the Console, and you can change which one is used with the NVidia control panel).
ARad

Post by ARad »

The issues occurs with either one set as Preferred Graphics Processor.

Another detail - I mentioned I can click on the buttons that change the view, by watching for the highlighting that comes with the position, and then clicking.

But I cannot activate submenus with a keyboard shortcut - pressing the Alt key to bring up the underlines in the menu corresponding to the submenus does work, but when I press Alt, D the submenu doesn't pop up. This is independent of the mouse position.

Hopefully that's informative and helps isolate where the problem might be.

Thanks for the intensive support on this problem in particular and on this program in general - it is much appreciated.

A
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Nope, if it's not a graphic card issue, then it means it must be a Windows issue? And as it appeared suddenly, I'm clueless.

Here are some random things you can check (double screen, mouse cursor trails, etc.): https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... rs-243929/. Sadly this seems to be a rather rare issue.
ARad

Post by ARad »

Thanks for the direction on that, it led me to a clue that seems to have done the job.

The tip was the multiple screens. CC was up in the main display, and when I opened "screen resolution" and changed one of the other screens to the main screen and it cleared right up.

Restarting to just the laptop display didn't do it; the problem still happened in that case, have not tried since the fix.

Mouse trails settings didn't seem to have an effect in this case, I tried that before adjusting the "main display" setting.

For future troubleshooting reference, I am using Windows 7 enterprise edition, on a dell 5510 laptop. The dual monitors for that laptop are both Dell monitors.

Thanks again for the close support on this issue, it is much appreciated.

Best,
Andy
Dezorian

Post by Dezorian »

I seem to have stumbled on the same issue. Dell Laptop Precision 75010, Two screens (extra Samsung display 2048x1152) , Windows 10 Pro.

My mouse pointer is still visible but the click action is registered in CC at like 10/20 pixels above where my pointer is hovering.
Also my menu bar is not visible. BUT if I click my mouse pointer a couple of pixels below where the menu bar should be i can access the menu bar. Also when in full screen mode, the menu bar is visible and registers the mouse click where my pointer is hovering like it should.

It looks like this: I clicked where the mouse pointer is visible in the screenshot. It looks like it has to do with scaling or something.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Oh, this bug is slightly different. It is due to the recent Intel drivers (I bet you have an integrated Intel card?). Try to update it, or if you have another GPU the you can force CloudCompare to use it instead of the Intel card (which would be a good idea anyway ;).

See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2661&p=10445#p10445
Dezorian

Post by Dezorian »

Yes i have the Intel 530 integrated GPU as well as a NVidia Quadro m1000m. I will try with updated the intel drivers. But I would like to force CC to use my Quadro GPU as well. How can I enable this setting?

Edit: Fixed it without installing Intel drivers by forcing it to use Nvidia GPU. For reference; just use the Nvidia control panel: