Accessing harddrives from a snap CC version

All about Linux portage
Alban

Accessing harddrives from a snap CC version

Post by Alban »

Hello, thanks to to Alberto Mardegan and Romain Janvier, I got a snap version of CC installed on my system (ubuntu 16.04).
It works pretty fine but I couldn't find a way to access the content of any harddrives mount on /media/ , nor to drag'n'drop the desired files on the application to open them. Therefore my only solution was to copy the files under my home dir.
Apparently there's a confinement regulation that makes some snap applications not able to access to the whole system. Couldn't manage either to connect a plug and slot interface for CC (like explained here :https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/wiki/ ... able-media). Any idea from anyone?

Thanks in advance for any hint!

Regards,
Alban
Romain.Janvier

Re: Accessing harddrives from a snap CC version

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Hello Alban,

really sorry for the late reply.
Well, I pushed a fix the edge channel and I will update the 2.8.1 package with that fix tonight (GMT)
In any case, due to the architecture of the snap system, it's not fully automatic. After the update,

Code: Select all

sudo snap refresh
, you should have to run something like

sudo snap connect  cloudcompare:removable-media  :removable-media
Regards,
Romain
Alban

Post by Alban »

Hi Romain,

Thanks a lot for making this working! Drag'n'Drop works smoothly.

That said, for some reasons I ignore, the refreshing of the available directories listed in the "open file(s)" dialogue box isn't that straightforward, therefore one has to manually enter once the whole path to correctly fetch the files on the drives (ex: /media/username/directory/...), instead of browsing the directories hierarchy.

Anyway, I am delighted to be able to use a full installation of CC on my ubuntu. Thanks again!

Alban
mdemirst

Post by mdemirst »

Thanks a lot! I was not able to drag'n drop from removable harddrive and

sudo snap connect  cloudcompare:removable-media  :removable-media
helped!