Portage to OS X

All about Linux portage
mankoff

Re: Portage to OS X

Post by mankoff »

Hi Daniel,

OK I have qCC compiling and linking on OS X. I get a binary that I can execute and it launches to the splash screen, but then crashes. This is either because of some compile error, or maybe a runtime error. There are a lot of libraries that it links to, and perhaps they need to be in the correct location. Along this line I notice on Windows the start.bat sets the PATH and the dll_indispensables_qcc.jpg file implies certain resources need to be in certain places. I don't know what these are or where they need to be on OS X.

As for the code, I'm happy to mail it to you. I am sad to say that I did not do a good job of integrating my changes into the system while minimizing changes. The last time I coded C was over a decade ago. The actual source code changes are minor and should be easy for you to integrate appropriately. Most of the changes were in the build system. Some of these changes were guesses and trial-and-error.

I did not remove any Win or Linux build, but I did make more changes than necessary. I have tried to un-do the extra changes. For example, under Project Settings > Platform, I set it to only "Mac". I've re-checked Linux and Windows so it now says "All". Under Build Targets I set the new release.OSX target to first via the Re-Order dialog, but have set it to last. Under Virtual Targets I set "All" to "release.OSX" but have re-set it to all the releases (but not debug).

So, in summary, I do not have a very clean diff to send, and the final compile does not work beyond the splash screen.

I don't know how much farther I can take this. Both time constraints, but also while debugging the build phase there were error messages. Debugging the runtime errors are much more complex. Perhaps some new developers from the OpenTopography site will be able to take it farther. I would love to use this natively on OS X rather than in Windows in VirtualBox.

Anyway, if you want the diff, I'll send it. If you don't since it doesn't provide a fully working binary, that is fine. Anyone who reads this in the future and wants qCC on OS X feel free to contact me. Perhaps what I've done will be a useful starting point.

-k.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Indeed, it would be best to have a skilled OS X C++ developer to pursue this portage.

Meanwhile, I'm still interested by your modifications (don't bother too much to restore the other configurations, I'll simply extract the 'Mac' parts from you project).

And by the way your problems may come from the 64 bits compiler more than the OS X portage (see this post: http://www.danielgm.net/cc/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=90). I'm currently trying to get the 64 bits portage that has been done for WIndows and Linux by EDF R&D recently. Another problem might come from the plugins (I don't know if their are Qt particularities for plugins on Mac - you can simply try to comment the call to 'loadPlugins' in the MainWindow constructor). Eventually, have you simply tried to launch the project in debug mode?

Anyway, thanks again for all your feedback.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mankoff

Post by mankoff »

Diff sent in email. Enjoy and good luck.
mankoff

Post by mankoff »

For those of you monitoring this old thread, CC now works (initially, no extensive testing yet) on OS X. Download the latest code from GitHub and:

mkdir build
ccmake ..
make
./qCC/qCC #run it.