[Done] CloudCompare for OSX (under wine emulation)

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
j_m

[Done] CloudCompare for OSX (under wine emulation)

Post by j_m »

Hi all ..

Rather than a 'pipe dream' request, I thought I would post my own attempts to get CC working on a mac ..

Actually, it's fully functional ... but blind. The openGL driver does not run ..

See attached screenshots .. as long as processing can be done a) by memory and b) through selection in the left menu

.. then it's all good! :)

Not sure if this is a difficult or a simple fix .. perhaps a different wine engine would have a compatible driver?

Running WineSkin here.

Thanks!
Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 11.29.34 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 11.29.34 AM.png (75.25 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 11.27.57 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 11.27.57 AM.png (74.84 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: CloudCompare for OSX (under wine emulation)

Post by daniel »

Isn't it like sharing screen on Windows?

On Windows, you must disable 3D acceleration (there's a specific option for this in the 'display' options) in order to be able to 'grab' OpenGL contexts. Otherwise, OpenGL rendering is done in 'overlay' mode (i.e. rendering output is sent directly from the GPU memory to the screen - thus bypassing Windows - in order to draw much faster). In this mode, there's no way for Windows or any other software to access to displayed data. If you disable hardware acceleration, display is much slower but you can freely access to it (with the 'Print Screen' key by instance).

I guess something equivalent is at work here. However I can't help you much as my knowledge of OS X is almost zero...

The CMake version of CloudCompare is almost ready. I guess it will make things easier to compile CC on OS X (but there will surely be some OS X-specific issues to fix first).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
j_m

Post by j_m »

Daniel-

Thanks! Sounds good.. I did search for similar options, but perhaps I need to try another emulator..

If you need help with the project, such as translating docs from French to English, let me know! A great project!
mankoff

Post by mankoff »

Nice work. It would be great to see CC under OS X. I've spent some time (documented here http://www.danielgm.net/cc/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=91 ) getting it compiling under OS X. It compiles, but crashes immediately. I managed to get the compile done (with the help of Daniel) because the compiler gives decent error messages. The silent core-dump crash has me stumped.

I hope a native version (or a wine-version) might work once the cmake build system is done.

-k.
mankoff

Post by mankoff »

Hi j_m and others monitoring this thread,

CC now works (initially, no extensive testing yet) on OS X. Download the latest code from GitHub and:

mkdir build
ccmake ..
make
./qCC/qCC #run it.