XBOX Controller Navigation

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
gabrielwalton

XBOX Controller Navigation

Post by gabrielwalton »

Daniel,

I recently purchased an Oculus Rift DK2. It works amazingly well with CloudCompare. You really are a genius!

I have been using Gopher360 (an XBOX controller mouse emulator) to navigate the 3D scene but this has limitations. As soon as the mouse pointer reaches the edge of the screen the rotation/pan "runs out".

Would it be possible to implement a navigation controlled by the XBOX controller? I think this could be very useful for "flying" around 3D scenes.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

Gabriel
daniel
Site Admin

Re: XBOX Controller Navigation

Post by daniel »

How did you make your DK2 work?! Last time I tried, the Oculus runtime complained that the DK2 was no longer supported :(

Otherwise, I believe the gamepad controller could be quite easily integrated (the latest version of Qt has now a "Gamepad" module).

Only limitation on my side: I don't have a gamepad... Should I buy one with the donations money? :D
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
gabrielwalton

Post by gabrielwalton »

Daniel,

The Oculus software seems to constantly complain that the DK2 is no longer supported but it still works fine with everything I have tested it with. I bought the DK2 as a bit of a gimmick but I am finding it really useful for work, especially things like viewing mis-aligns between point clouds and very fine adjustments of an objects x,y,z so it matches an opposing line.

I would happily buy you a gamepad (or donate to CC) if you could introduce the XBOX function. It works so well with the DK2 for exploration.

Now I am dreaming of the possibilities of being able to edit in 3D using something like a Razer Hydra. I have seen it in an old abandoned open source LiDAR package:
http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDe ... index.html

And a video that shows it well:
http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDe ... iewer.mpeg
gabrielwalton

Post by gabrielwalton »

PS. The XBOX controller through the emulator worked best with rotation locked around vertical axis and viewer based perspective.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I have ordered a Xbox gamepad (sadly Amazon doesn't accept Paypal payments so I couldn't use CC's donations).

But you are still welcome to make a donation (just wait for when I'll actually do anything, as it may take some time ;).
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

And have you already tested 3dConnexion devices? They already work with CC.
gabrielwalton

Post by gabrielwalton »

I will gladly make a donation!

I haven't tried the 3D mouse yet. I am watching one on Ebay though.

I did have a small test of one a while back in some other software and there certainly seemed to be steep learning curve!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Once you get used to their sensitivity it's a life changer. And it's better to get used to use them with the hand that doesn't hold the mouse so that you can use both at the same time.
gabrielwalton

Post by gabrielwalton »

I have heard a lot of people recommend them. I am a right handed mouse user. You recommend to use the 3D mouse with my left hand!! Even steeper learning curve!

I think I will buy one from Ebay and give it a try.

Thanks for the advice.
Steve L~

Post by Steve L~ »

Gabriel,

I'm sure that you wont be disappointed with a 3D space mouse, they work brilliantly with CC (or is the other way around?!) - I'd be lost without mine.

I'm just about to dip into the Oculus world too using CC, so your post is interesting.