Oculus plug in - see headset view on monitor?

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
cyndyb

Oculus plug in - see headset view on monitor?

Post by cyndyb »

Daniel -

I have read that you are no longer able to get your D2K Oculus to work with Cloud Compare, but I wondered what you thought of the difficulty involved in being able to visualize on the computer monitor the same view that the user sees in the headset, when viewing Cloud Compare in the Oculus. We at my University are successfully driving the Oculus with your plug in for Cloud Compare and some of our researchers LOVE this capability! WE are so pleased you made this plug in. However, it would be much improved, for the manner in which our researchers use it, if we could simultaneously view the data in Cloud Compare and in the Rift. Your thoughts?

Thanks for all you do.

Cynthia
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Oculus plug in - see headset view on monitor?

Post by daniel »

Hi,

I'm not sure how it works but I guess it's possible as most Oculus-based applications do it. I'm just not sure when I'll be able to do it!

Don't hesitate to send me an email (cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net) to remind me about this in a few days / weeks ;).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok that's finally done!

The 2.9 Stereo (beta) version can now be downloaded from CC's website.
crullier

Post by crullier »

I just tried this, its great.
I have a questions, other than using the wheel of my mouse to go "inside a mode" think a building, how can I create a camera in the inside.
If such feature exists, is it possible to walk?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, you can create camera 'sensors' at any place you want. And then apply its viewport. But walking is very hard with the mouse anyway.

The best option is to use a '3D mouse' (3dConnexion, starts from 120€). And CC now supports gamepads but it's still in 'beta' mode and it only works on few PCs (not sure why).
crullier

Post by crullier »

I am not too familiar with what you are describing. What should I search for on the help file "sensors" ?
I would love the try walking with a game pad.

Thank you
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well forget about the 'sensors' (the current Camera creation dialog is broken ;). A space mouse is definitely the better way to do it, but I hope the gamepad support will be better in the next version.