Option to segment txt in individual clouds during import

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
Dimitri

Option to segment txt in individual clouds during import

Post by Dimitri »

Hi Daniel,

a typical file export for many Leica (but also Faro I think) users is .pts. It's in ascii and is just a series of individual point clouds (XYZIRGB) separated by the number of points in the subsequent PC. it is the "dumb" version of the .ptx file without any registration info or specific point organization corresponding to the scan grid.
Currently, CC (rightfully) detect an incorrect line format when it reads the PC size and skip this line, and it collates all PC in the .pts into a single PC. However, in many cases it would be interesting to keep the PC separated. For this, a simple tick box with "generate a new point cloud after each incorrectly formated line" would suffice to separate the point cloud and keeping them into the same directory in the CC left panel (or alternatively a specific .pts file import).

I'm saying that because we're currently using our scanner for experiments when we scan repeatedly every 2 minutes and end up having 100 small scans per experiments. We are currently parsing the file with matlab, but it would be much easier to load the global .pts file directly in CC.

I think the .ptz is the equivalent in binary format but I'm not sure (I know that the .ptg is the binary equivalent of the .ptx and I actually have the file description of the .ptg from Leica if someone needs it).

Cheers

Dimitri