Zoom in on color scale

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
aknight0

Zoom in on color scale

Post by aknight0 »

First off, this software is amazing! I have been using it for several months, and have been blown away by the amount of functionality included. Thanks for such a great package!

I have been wondering, would it be possible to add functionality to zoom in on the color scale when it is displayed? I am trying to measure small ground displacements using a cloud to cloud distance compare, but when I decrease the saturation range on the scalar field to cover the distances I am interested in, the range on the color scale display is too small to have more than one or two values. Using a log scale helps a little bit, but it would be nice to be able to zoom in on the color scale so that I could read a larger array of distance values over the small range I am looking at. I don't know if this would be difficult to implement, but if it isn't too much trouble it would be very helpful.

Thank you!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Zoom in on color scale

Post by daniel »

Well it's not that it would be complicated but it would represent a backward step (as we were using non-linear and partial color ramps in earlier versions but it appeared to be counter intuitive and misleading for a lot of users).

But if you want to 'zoom in' you can still use a visual trick: use the 'Edit > Scalar field(s) > Filter by value' method on your cloud to select only the points withing the range of interest. This will produce a new cloud with just the color scale you are looking for. For the remaining points, either you can drop them (if they are not useful) or you can apply the inverse selection and display the corresponding points in a solid color (red for instance) without any scalar field activated.

Would it do the trick?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
aknight0

Re: Zoom in on color scale

Post by aknight0 »

Brilliant! That does exactly what I needed. Thank you! I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.