qCANUPO (classifier files, etc.)

For any question about plugins!
Dimitri

Re: qCANUPO (classifier files, etc.)

Post by Dimitri »

Hi,

Going through your questions:
Firstly I've noticed that if I use your CC plugin, it seems like all my CPU cores get utilized whereas if I use your original tool, I have staggered resource utilization, usually one or two cores at any given moment. I'm curious if this indicates i should abandon your original tool and use CC.
qCanupo and the original Canupo will give you the same results for a given classifier. Unless you need to batch process numerous files (and thus use the command line "old" version), I would systematically use the qCanupo plugin.
qCanupo benefits from parallelization on windows meaning that it will use all the available cores, while "Canupo command line" is only using 1 core.
Also, CC has no issues processing large clouds consisting of 50 million+ points. When I use canupo through CC on anything over 4 million points it seems to cause a crash.
That's surprising. I've been using qCanupo on points clouds with 10 millions points, classifying all point clouds without an issue (on a 6 cores, 32 gb ram computer) with a classifier of about 10 scales (if I remember well). However, as Daniel explained, if you are using too many scales in the classifier, you could run out of memory. As a rule of thumb, I'm never using more than 10 scales, and I systematically try to remove the largest tools to optimise the speed of computation and the memory usage (it's easy to do with qCanupo interactive view of the classifier training).

I've nearly finished a new tutorial explaining how to best construct classifiers with qCanupo. I just need to find some time to record the corresponding video tutorial !
p01ntsurf3r

Post by p01ntsurf3r »

Ok great, that is very useful to know. Now how about the linux version of CC...is qCANUPO compatible with this release and will it behave similar to the windows version; utilizing all available resources? The reason I ask is that we have a sudo-super computer linux cluster running upwards of 1000 cores, not sure about the RAM but i'm assuming it is loaded. I'd like to see how this software performs on system as well. Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well the parallelization mechanism is managed by Qt (the multi-platform application framework on which CloudCompare is built). So theoretically it should work on all platforms equivalently.

However a cluster is not a standard computer, so I don't know how Qt will handle it...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
A.Neverman

Post by A.Neverman »

Hi there,

I have just discovered CloudCompare and CANUPO and I'm hoping to use it in my PhD project. I was just wondering if you have tried using qCANUPO to identify different grain sizes within a TLS point cloud of a gravel bar? I was hoping to use CANUPO to pick out the D16, D50, and D84 clasts. I assume this may be possible at the right scales. I was just wondering how to use the scale in CC as I import my data from xyz files which are in Easting, Northing, and elevation format from the TLS as opposed to being in a meter type format, so CC then converts the data from co-ordinates to something else. I'm just wondering how am I best to manage this import procedure so i can work with the scales in CC? Or am I going down the wrong path?

Thanks,

Andrew
Stefffan

Post by Stefffan »

Hello everyone!
I am totally new in using cloud compare and working with CANUPO and 3D data.
I have a question about the plugin: Is it possible to classify/detect different vegetation objects? e.g. grass, trees, shrubs etc.
Or can you recommend any method?
Thanks a lot!!
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

A.Neverman wrote:Hi there,

I have just discovered CloudCompare and CANUPO and I'm hoping to use it in my PhD project. I was just wondering if you have tried using qCANUPO to identify different grain sizes within a TLS point cloud of a gravel bar? I was hoping to use CANUPO to pick out the D16, D50, and D84 clasts. I assume this may be possible at the right scales. I was just wondering how to use the scale in CC as I import my data from xyz files which are in Easting, Northing, and elevation format from the TLS as opposed to being in a meter type format, so CC then converts the data from co-ordinates to something else. I'm just wondering how am I best to manage this import procedure so i can work with the scales in CC? Or am I going down the wrong path?

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

unfortunately, as our team is working on the very same topic, we're in a small competition here, and I will not help you outside the context of a collaboration...sorry, about that.
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Stefffan wrote:Hello everyone!
I am totally new in using cloud compare and working with CANUPO and 3D data.
I have a question about the plugin: Is it possible to classify/detect different vegetation objects? e.g. grass, trees, shrubs etc.
Or can you recommend any method?
Thanks a lot!!
Hi Steffan,

yes, you can design classifiers that can different vegetation objects as lons as they are geometrically different. Grass, trees and shrubs should be easily separable. Because CANUPO operates by binary classification, I'd suggest to first remove grass, and then try to separate trees and shrubs (as they are geometricall similar over certain scales). If your going the qCANUPO path, I stongly suggest to read Brodu and Lague, 2012 describing the application of the algorithm for complex scenes.

As for other methods, qCANUPO generally suits any of my applications, so I've not really looked beyond that ;-)
SarunasBand

Post by SarunasBand »

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this classifier, looks promising! I managed to classify features, but can't find a way to split the cloud in to two. At the moment it's just different colors applied to it.

Thanks,
Sarunas
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The colors are in fact the classes shown with dynamic (SF) coloring. The classes are simply 1 and 2 by default.

Use 'Edit > Scalar fields > Filter by value' to extract the points of each class.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
SarunasBand

Post by SarunasBand »

daniel wrote:The colors are in fact the classes shown with dynamic (SF) coloring. The classes are simply 1 and 2 by default.

Use 'Edit > Scalar fields > Filter by value' to extract the points of each class.
Thanks, exactly what I needed.