OSVR Headset Support?

For any remark, link or suggestion about CloudCompare and more genrally the 3D
msobanion

OSVR Headset Support?

Post by msobanion »

I was wondering if you have considered supporting OSVR?

OSVR is a relatively new open source VR platform, information can be found here: https://osvrdevportal.atlassian.net/wik ... t+a+Glance

In addition to the software platform Razer sells an inexpensive OSVR HMD which is similar in spec to the Oculus DK2. One benefit of providing OSVR support is that it would enable users to use a variety of headsets including, the Oculus rift, HTC Vive, and more in the future. Our research group has recently acquired an OSVR HMD for research purposes and we do a lot of work with lidar derived 3D point clouds.

Just thought I would ask and it is great that CloudCompare now supports Nvidia 3D and Oculus HMD!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: OSVR Headset Support?

Post by daniel »

Hi,

To tell the truth it's a long time I since I get a hand on an Oculus device. And then it took ages before I was able to finish the 'alpha' support of the Rift in CC.

And the main reason is that... it makes me sick very fast :D. I can't use it for more than 5 minutes...

Therefore I'd like someone else to take the lead on this branch of development if possible.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
nazg

Post by nazg »

Well I tried one of the first release of the oculus support in CC, maybe 1 month ago, and the framerate was really an issue. That's certainly why you feel sick so quickly.

Since the very beginning of DK1 I was never vr-sick, whatever the demo, but with like 10 fps in CC I could hardly look around more than 10/15 minutes.
I would gladly help you to improve this, since there is literally no way to visualize point cloud in VR at the moment.

I was fooling around with Potree lately, but it can be such a mess in the code with the calls to various library (mainly plas.io and its dependencies) that I was not able to setup even a basic stereo camera in three.js...
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well the framerate is definitely an issue, but it mostly depends on the cloud you display and your graphic card. We have also enhanced the Oculus support in the official 2.7 version. I typically run at 30 to 50 fps on my side.

Sadly I really am sick with this device, even with the demos and optimized games (but I'm not the only one ;). I guess it's the same as for people who are sea-sick (which I am not). And I am sick after about one minute, not 15 ;).

Anyway it would be great to get some help on this front!
xbarin08

Post by xbarin08 »

hi

our university want's htc vive support for cloudcompare, i have acces to htc vive and occulus dk1 and dk2

i am working on it but i am totally lost in code

i need some api to move and rotate camera in 3d view or any start point where to look

thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Everything is in ccGLWindow (QCC_GL_LIB).

Currently Oculus DK2 is supported (with SDK 0.8 in the trunk, but I recently updated it to work with SDK 1.4 if you need it). To compile with Oculus support you need to enable the QUAD_BUFFER mode as well as Oculus SDK support in CMake. Then the corresponding code is protected with the CC_OCULUS_SUPPORT macro (note that the Oculus support is a bit dirty atm as it was a quick & dirty attempt to make this work).

How does the Vive SDK works?
xbarin08

Post by xbarin08 »

actually i am no so far for now i was trying to compile cc as is and now i am trying to hack cc and use menu or keyboard to move camera

now i am studying possibilities to work with vive, we actually get it yesterday so we have zero experience with it

ccGLWindow is quite complex

is ok to use

Code: Select all

ccGLWindow::moveCamera

ccGLWindow::rotateBaseViewMat
to move and rotate camera ?

i tried it, works but it is packed in hundred lines of code

I really appreciate better documentation for cc
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, that's definitely one of the most complex class... And yes you can use moveCamera and rotateBaseViewMat (you can take example on how the 3D mouse is handled in the CloudCompare project for instance - see Mouse3DInput::Apply).
adequat

Post by adequat »

Hello,

I am also very interested in HTC Vive support. Are there any updates on this? Is there something to test?
xbarin08

Post by xbarin08 »

Hi

I was trying to implement openvr into CC but i did not found place where to modify code.
Another issue was that CC was not able to proccess so much camera updates with big clouds so i decided to make my own viewer here https://github.com/maruncz/VR-pointcloud-viewer (witch will probably be my Bachelor thesis) in master branch there is working demo, supports only ascii clouds