Citation question and short feedback on use

For any remark, link or suggestion about CloudCompare and more genrally the 3D
geotyr

Citation question and short feedback on use

Post by geotyr »

Hello!

I have been using CloudCompare for a year now and today is the first day I felt the need to check out the forum. I guess it is very good sign of how intuitive this software is.

I am finishing an article on a 3D model. I have been using CloudCompare mainly for visualization (fast and smooth), quality check, renders, distance computation (although i am not quite sure about this part). I would like to cite the project. Is there any official reference?

I have been using meshlab as a complement, mainly because they give more possibilities to work on normals (computing, smoothing..) although the one option they don't have is the invert normals. I used the ply format to switch from a software to the other.

Also I wanted to ask, is there any place you recommend to post models? Is there any web platform that can recognize the cloudcompare .bin format?

Thanks for this great project
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Citation question and short feedback on use

Post by daniel »

Hi,

For the official citation you can look at this post: viewtopic.php?t=146.

If you have any question about the distance computation part, don't hesitate.

And I can't link you to any 3D model posting/sharing website (I wish I could, especially for points clouds ;). Moreover I don't think that the BIN format is well known apart from CC users. I would definitely advise you to stick to the PLY format for meshes (and LAS or E57 or even ASCII for clouds) as they are well known and more importantly 'software independent'.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
geotyr

Post by geotyr »

great! thanks

i made the search with reference instead of citation so I missed the post

I have just checked the online documentation about distance and discovered that I have been computing the distance to the closest point...when I needed the orthogonal distance, it won't make much difference in my case but now I know..

I might be trying out places to post models, if I find anything good I will post it here. I am mainly interested in platform where you can control interactivity, i.e. switch on and off object, have access to the scalar fields, more or less like the CCviewer..
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Were you computing distances between two point clouds?

Otherwise, if you compare a point cloud and a mesh, it's generally the orthogonal one that is used (apart in some particular cases were the closest 'point' falls on an edge or a vertex).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
geotyr

Post by geotyr »

no, it was a distance computation between two point clouds.