Retina Support

All about Mac OS portage
jkua

Retina Support

Post by jkua »

Hi all,

First - LOVE that there is a simple installer for CloudCompare! Thanks, Andy! Homebrew would be my next choice, but this is great!

Second - I know it's probably a considerable amount of work to support Retina displays (upgrading assets, etc.). But it is really easy to at least get the text and much of the interface to display properly - you just need to edit the info.plist file and add a few lines. I've tried it on my machine (MacBook Pro 15, Late 2013) and it works great.

In the current version (2.5.4), I inserted in /Applications/CloudCompare.app/Contents/Info.plist

Code: Select all

<key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
<string>NSApplication</string>
<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<string>True</string>
after line 4:

Code: Select all

<dict>
For some reason, I had to make a copy of the .app folder for this to take effect - I suspect some caching of the .app folder is going on. I ended up renaming it back to CloudCompare and it still worked.

It would be great if this was rolled into future Mac OS X builds.

See the following links for more info:
http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/04/2 ... s-and-x11/
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36410

-John
asmaloney

Re: Retina Support

Post by asmaloney »

John:

Thanks for the note.

I have actually done this in my "real" work and thought I had for CC as well, but I don't have a "retina" display so the problem was never "in my face".

I'll make sure I get it in the next release.

Upgrading the assets is something I would have to coordinate with Daniel and it's a bit more difficult without a real display to test on. There is a way to "fake it" on a non-"retina" display, but I didn't find it easy to integrate into a development workflow.

- Andy
jkua

Post by jkua »

I'll make sure I get it in the next release.
Great, thanks!
Upgrading the assets is something I would have to coordinate with Daniel and it's a bit more difficult without a real display to test on. There is a way to "fake it" on a non-"retina" display, but I didn't find it easy to integrate into a development workflow.
I understand. Well, if you and Daniel ever get there and need a guinea pig, I'd be happy to help test.
asmaloney

Post by asmaloney »

John:

If you could get in touch with me through my contact page I'd like to get you to verify that the font issue is fixed on "retina" displays. I think the build may fix a toolbar spacing issue for "retina" displays as well.

Thanks.

- Andy