Mesh cleanup using pointcloud

Feel free to ask any question here
TMK

Mesh cleanup using pointcloud

Post by TMK »

Hi all,

I have a question concerning cleanup of a mesh made with poisson surface reconstruction. I have meshed my point cloud with an other software and because this software is using poisson surface reconstruction for meshing it makes watertight mesh which has a lot of this junk in it.

So, I was wondering if it is possible cleanup all of this junk using original pointcloud. Is it possible to somehow mark all triangles that are lets say more than 10mm distance away from my point cloud and then remove these triangles?

Br,
TMK
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Mesh cleanup using pointcloud

Post by daniel »

I bet you could use the Cloud / Cloud distance to do this? (but you'll have to select the cloud and the mesh vertices (the cloud below the mesh entity in the DB tree). And make sure the original cloud is the 'reference'. Then you'll be able to segment the mesh entity based on the 'distances' scalar field.

In the Poisson Reconstruction plugin of CC you can actually output the 'density' scalar field with the watertight mesh and do this filtering directly.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
TMK

Post by TMK »

Hi,

It seems to work. Thanks a lot.

Br,
TMK
TMK

Post by TMK »

Hi, I am now trying to do this using only command line mode. Is it possible to get hands on mesh vertices using command line mode?

Br,

TMK
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum, in the current version I don't think this is possible..
Daniel, CloudCompare admin