Oculus Rift and CloudCompare

Feel free to ask any question here
paco

Oculus Rift and CloudCompare

Post by paco »

I recently bought an Oculus Rift, but I do not know how to make it work with CloudCompare. The Oculus Rift runs fine with its own software, and I am running CC 2.7 Stereo. (The NVIDIA 3D Vision support works well ... thanks!) I believe that I need to install libraries from the Oculus SDK somewhere, as I receive an error stating that it 'Faile to initialize the Oculus SDK (ovr_Initialize)'. I have downloaded the SDK for Windows, but I don't have a clue where to go with it from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paco
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Oculus Rift and CloudCompare

Post by daniel »

Hard to tell because I did all the developments with a DK2 kit... which is no longer supported (god I already hated the device and now I hate the company ;).

I just compiled the 2.8 beta stereo version with the latest SDK version:
http://www.cloudcompare.org/release/Clo ... up_x64.exe

Can you test it?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
paco

Post by paco »

Thanks, Daniel!

That seems to be working, now. I'll play around with it more, but it definitely comes up in the Oculus headset, and I can maneuver around. I appreciate the prompt follow-up, as well as all your efforts on this project.

Paco
MurphServ

Post by MurphServ »

I get the "Failed to initialize the Oculus SDK (ovr_create)" error on both the 2.8.1 and 2.9 beta available releases, when using the Rift DK2 and Oculus 1.12
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Strange I just installed the 1.12 runtime and it works well on my side (with the DK2 as well)... Maybe you need to enable the 'unknown sources' in the Oculus parameters (the gear icon on the right of the upper bar of the Oculus application, then go to 'General').
ancom32

Post by ancom32 »

Hi Daniel,

I installed the oculus home runtime (normally, the platform for oculus rift) and it works well for DK 2. It doesn’t matter if the setup cannot detect the hdmi connection for the headset, you just skip this step and it works well in CloudCompare. Now, I would like to pick points from the VR environment. I tried to pick a point with the oculus goggles but it was impossible to achieve it. I couldn’t see my mouse cursor in VR mode, so I couldn’t aim for a specific point. Could you tell me if there is any way to see the mouse cursor in the oculus mode?

Thanks man,
Andrés.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

No, sadly the mouse cursor is still handled by Windows and not by the Oculus... Not sure if there's a workaround
ancom32

Post by ancom32 »

It’s a shame. Do you think if there is a way to aim for a point (getting its coordinates) in VR with other devices? i.e. Xbox controller, oculus remote or touch controllers.
Andrés.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I guess it's definitely possible (even with the mouse) but someone has to develop code to handle it ;)
ancom32

Post by ancom32 »

ok, I'll see what I can do about it :)