.obj to point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
James

.obj to point cloud

Post by James »

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution converting .obj files to a point cloud. The point cloud format I've been using with the best success is .pts. I have a Matterport camera that exports in the .obj format. Matterport offers a free service which will convert .obj to .xyz. I have also tried a company called Veriscian which will convert to .pts. The .xyz point cloud doesn't contain the same resolution as the .pts file, it seems as though far fewer points are being included. I would like a platform that will give me control over the conversion. Will CloudCompare convert the .obj mesh to a high resolution point cloud, preserving the color data? Any suggestions or insights will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James
daniel
Site Admin

Re: .obj to point cloud

Post by daniel »

Simply load your OBJ file, select the mesh (and not the 'file' group), and use 'Edit > Mesh > Sample Points'.

You'll be able to provide the total number of points you want (or the density). And yes the colors will be preserved.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
James

Post by James »

Hello Daniel,

That's terrific! I look forward to using CloudCompare with our current equipment and with a new Leica scanner that's on it way.

James
martijn00

Post by martijn00 »

Hai guys! Tnx for the info sofar. I've done what you suggested and i have a poitncloud visible. But how do i save it to .PTS?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

PTS files are in fact ASCII files (see the 'ASCII cloud' entry in the 'Save file' dialog). Then make sure to add the 'number of points' at the beginning of the file (in the 'Save parameters' dialog). And of course use the PTS extension.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin