Comparing two STL files for error and accuracy percentage.

Feel free to ask any question here
abajwa28

Comparing two STL files for error and accuracy percentage.

Post by abajwa28 »

Hi,

I have been using cloud compare for some time. I am using it to find the deviations in two similar 3D STL files.
I have used C2M signed distances, C2M absolute distances and M3C2 distance algorithms.

During computation I always get values like - max distance, average distance, max error, sigma, mean distance and standard deviation.

My question is a two part question :- 1) Which one of the above the distance computation methods would be more reliable? As in, what is the exact algorithm on how it calculates distance between two similar bodies superimposed? I ask this because all three methods have a varying results. I want to learn more about how that change takes place.

2) How can I calculate the accuracy or percentage error in these superimposed files? One being the reference and the other being compared to this reference file. The two STL files are similar with certain mild difference. How can I quantify the accuracy of the two or the error value. For example is it 70% similar to each other, does it have 10% error?

Unfortunately I can't attach any of the saved files. It gives an error of invalid extension. Please let me know if I can upload them in some way.
.STL, .fbx and .vtk files

Thanks a lot,
Angad