Set centre point

Feel free to ask any question here
Richlear

Set centre point

Post by Richlear »

Hi all, new user here!

I have a point cloud which is a laser scan of some sensors on a mounting plate. I need to measure the offsets in X, Y and Z from a reference point which is the centre of one of the sensors to each of the other sensors.

So, I would like to be able to nominate a point or even better, a location I define as 0,0,0 then be able to measure other points as dX, dY, dZ from that.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to achieve this?

thanks very much

rich
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Set centre point

Post by daniel »

If you have a known point (let's assume its coordinates are X0, Y0 and Z0) then you can simply translate the other points so that this point goes to (0, 0, 0): select the cloud, then use 'Edit > Apply transformation' and input (-X0, -Y0, -Z0) as translation in the second tab of the tool.

Once you have translated the cloud, you can simply spawn labels on each point (with SHIFT+left click) or export the cloud as an ASCII file to read all the (shifted) coordinates at once.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Richlear

Post by Richlear »

Thanks Daniel.

is it possible to do a shift like this to a location where there is no physical point? (centre of a cylinder for instance)

Thanks

rich
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

As long as you know the coordinates of this point, yes.

For a cylinder, I guess looking at the center of its boudning-box should be sufficient?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin