DEM

Feel free to ask any question here
Sile

DEM

Post by Sile »

I am having trouble creating a Digital Elevation Model (DEM). I need to need to take my ground points and move them all to the same height, while keeping my higher points (vegetation) in their same X,Y coordinates. I have not been able to find how to do this throughout videos and other forums. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
daniel
Site Admin

Re: DEM

Post by daniel »

Hum, do you already know what are your ground points? If yes, then if you can make a separate cloud with them (generally with the 'Edit > SF > Filter by value' tool), then you can:
  • add a 'constant' scalar field to this cloud (Edit > SF > Add constant SF) - set the unique value to the target height of your ground points
  • convert this scalar field to the Z coordinate (Edit > SF > Set SF as coordinate(s))
  • merge this cloud with the vegetation cloud
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Sile

Post by Sile »

I do not have my ground and vegetation points seperated. I am using a xyz file. I do not know how to separate these. Any help would be much appreciated.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sile

Post by Sile »

I figured out how to separate the vegetation and ground points. However, if we could look back at my first question on how to make a DEM. I created the DEM of the ground points, but I am having problems with snapping the vegetation points back. When I fuse/merge the two clouds together, there is no merging action happening. The window that shows which cloud you selected combines the two. Unfortunately, I cannot show you a picture of what it looks like because the file is too big.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Are you trying to merge a mesh with a cloud? (I don't know what was your exact workflow). If yes, then you'll have to convert it back to a cloud.
Sile

Post by Sile »

From the best of my knowledge, the "off-ground points and ground points" are both point clouds.Image. Try using this link to see the photo that I posted to facebook.
Sile

Post by Sile »

I attached a photo of what I am trying to do. I don't think we are understanding each other. Thank you for your time and patience.
Attachments
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (118.9 KiB) Viewed 13675 times
cdordoni

Post by cdordoni »

Daniel,

DEM is a general term that is used for both DTM and DSM data.
https://www.gisresources.com/confused-dem-dtm-dsm/

The true ground surface is obscured by trees or buildings, so when the trees and buildings are removed, there are holes. To create the DTM, the holes are filled in.

To get the actual surface (DSM) including the trees and buildings, that data has to be added back in.
Sile

Post by Sile »

Yes, so is that possible to do in cloudcompare or do I need to run it with another software platform?