Point Indexes

Feel free to ask any question here
mikmik

Point Indexes

Post by mikmik »

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the great CC. I would like to ask about the representation of colors when using point indexes.
I've read the information related point indexes but still not clear.
What are the red/green/blue stands for? (eg. depth, glossiness, distance or what) --> see the attachment
Could you please explain me about that?

I would highly appreciate your answer.
Thanks a lot
Attachments
image.png
image.png (142.15 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Point Indexes

Post by daniel »

Well, it's simply the default color gradient (what we call 'Color scale') changing from blue to green to yellow to red. You can change it via the cloud properties.

And it simply correspond... to the point index :D. Blue will correspond to the smallest point indexes, then green and yellow to mid range indexes, and red to the biggest point indexes.

And point indexes refer to the index of the point in the file.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mikmik

Post by mikmik »

Thanks for your prompt answer.
I am quite new in CC.
Could you please explain more according to what for the order of point indexes (small-mid-big)?
because its representation is quite scattered and unpredictable when we applied it (see other attachment).

Hope my question is clear to you.
Thank you for your kind consideration
Cheers
Attachments
image (2).png
image (2).png (220.8 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I'm not sure to understand. The point order depends on the scanner or software that created the point cloud. In effect it generally depends on the acquisition order, and whether the cloud is formed of multiple scans, etc.

This is not something generated by CloudCompare. And its visualization works the same as any other scalar field (each value associated to each point - it can be the point index, but it could be the intensity, the GPS time, a confidence value, a temperature, etc. - is mapped to a fake color by considering that the minimum value corresponds to the first color in the color scale, and the last value corresponds to the last color in the color scale by default).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin