Loading LAS

Feel free to ask any question here
nhatchett

Loading LAS

Post by nhatchett »

Hi

How do I load a 50million point cloud on a 4gb Windows 7 computer? At present Cloud Compare just makes my PC unresponsive (zombified) when I attempt to load this cloud?

Additionally I am loading a cloud based on the UK Ordinance Survey National Grid but it will not accept these point co-ordinates.

Regards

Nigel
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Loading LAS

Post by daniel »

1) 50 million points should fit without any issue in 4 Gb (even in 1 Gb of free memory).

Things might slow the display:
- normals (if you have some, deactivate them)
- a bad graphic card (e.g. an Intel chipset)

However, if you use the most recent version, the L.O.D. mechanism should automatically activate and the display should become smoother when the octree is ready.

When does the zomibfication takes place exactly? Do you see the cloud at least once?

2)
it will not accept these point co-ordinates.
What do you mean by that exactly? Unrecognized file type? Non Cartesian coordinates maybe?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
nhatchett

Post by nhatchett »

1/ The machine zombifies as soon as it starts the point cloud.
2/ I am using OSGB National grid co-ordinates (x range 0 - 800,000.000 mtrs and y range 0 to 1,300,000.000 mtrs). The program wants to scale these.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

1) Well, it shouldn't ;). Can you send me the cloud maybe so that I can test on my side?

2) You should definitely apply the (temporary) translation otherwise the coordinates will be too big to be properly stored in memory (we use only 32 bits floating points... to save memory!). Moreover OpenGL also hates big coordinates (for more or less the same reason), therefore it would result in a very ugly 3D rendering.

The shift is only temporary, and it will be restored at export time.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin