Load a label list

Feel free to ask any question here
westergu

Load a label list

Post by westergu »

Hi,
Is it possible to load and visualize 3d points with labels in CC? I have a list of 3D points that all have uniqe names (control points). I would really like to visualize these points togheter with their names, like when you have a "point pick list".
In the Point picking tool you can save the picked points in the format "label name,x,y,z", but I can not find a way then how to open such kind of formats. I thought I could trick the program that my control points is a "Picked point list" with labels.

Is there a way how to do this?

Best regards,
Gustav Westerlund
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Load a label list

Post by daniel »

We'll have to work on this, but it should be feasible.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok, here it is: http://www.cloudcompare.org/release/Clo ... up_x64.exe

I'll let you give it a try.

Daniel
westergu

Post by westergu »

It worked perfectly! Super many thanks!

Best regards,
Gustav
Paradizelozt

Post by Paradizelozt »

Hi, i have the exact same problem. I need to visually see labels on a set of control points, in order to perform an align point pairs operation.

It looks like you found a way to address the problem, which is great! But the link you provided no longer works. Could you please reactivate it?

Just to say a big thanks for providing such a magnificent software. I recently made a sizeable cash contribution on account of using it so much. You sir are a Saint.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The official 2.10 version is now online (no need to download the beta anymore ;)
Paradizelozt

Post by Paradizelozt »

That's great, but which tool is used to perform this function?

Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You actually have to load the points (with labels) as a text/ASCII file.

On each line you will have the coordinates of each point (X Y Z) as well as other fields (colors, normals, etc.) and the label. Then you can choose the corresponding column to be loaded as "labels". That's all.
Paradizelozt

Post by Paradizelozt »

Many thanks Daniel, I'll give it a try :)
dannyht

Post by dannyht »

First off, many thanks for this software! I will be sending over some data sets that my team is working with for the CC dev team to play with.

I also have points that have a unique identifier and would love to be able to have this unique identifier appear when I pick points. I have tried to load in points with labels with the method described above, but CC freezes with large point clouds (I'm importing a file with ~2mil points). I can load smaller point clouds, but it is wayyy slower than normal. Even with a beefy desktop with 32gb ram and a gtx 960 GPU.

Is there a way to assign labels but not "enable" the labels automatically? Like a toggle to show labels of selected points or individually or just have them included when you pick points to a list?

Thanks a ton!