Scalar Field

Feel free to ask any question here
Sile

Scalar Field

Post by Sile »

Would you please explain what the scalar field/value is and why it is important?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Scalar Field

Post by daniel »

Can you be more specifc? Is this question related to your previous post? (about DSM subtraction?)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Sile

Post by Sile »

Yes and no. I am just wondering what it is and how cloudcompare is using scalar field values. I have heard that it is the intensity?

Another question: with the RANSAC plugin, I read the wiki site on what the parameters do, but it does not specify what each of the advance parameters do. Could you please explain.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

1) Scalar fields can be anything actually. Intensity, time, confidence, temperature, etc. They either come with the points (especially in advanced formats such as LAS, PLY, E57, etc.) or they can be generated in many different ways by CloudCompare tools (curvature, roughness, distances, etc.).

It's a central concept in CloudCompare, as scalar fields can be processed in many different ways (arithmetic, spatial filtering, segmentation based on these values, etc.).

2) You'll have to read the author's article to get more information about these parameters (I believe there's a link on the wiki page).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin