Densify/interpolate points in cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
PablerasBCN

Densify/interpolate points in cloud

Post by PablerasBCN »

Hello.
I woul like to increase the point number in the cloud. I've searched the forum with no luck. The closest cases I found was due to the need of filling holes after removing trees. So far the only way to densify the cloud I understand would be to mesh the cloud and extract vertices.

It is for visualization purposes. Not to have holes when the camera is nearby. If interpolated points where in a separate cloud I could camera clip per layer and use point size.

Is that correct?.

A suggestion would be to points generate triangular face with closest points and add a point in the center of triangle with interpolated color. Like for step 1. If 2 step. Use newly created poin and the vertex of the original triangle to create subtriangles and add point in center of each triangle. And so on.

Cheers
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Densify/interpolate points in cloud

Post by daniel »

Indeed, CloudCompare doesn't deal with this kind of process. However the MLS tool of the qPCL plugin may be able to "densify" a cloud.

Of course there's also the option of creating a triangular mesh (with Delaunay or Poisson) and then sample points on the mesh (with a controlled density: Edit > Mesh > Sample points).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin