Camera calibration/inner and outer alignment

Feel free to ask any question here
sef-gott

Camera calibration/inner and outer alignment

Post by sef-gott »

Hello,

I'm new into Cloud Compare. I want to do some laser scanns from big buildings and look for good software for the postprocessing.

Two question, because I didn't find something about it.
First: is there a possibility or the need to orientate the camera within the programm?

And second can the inner and outer alignment be prooved?

Thank you very much!
Sven
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Camera calibration/inner and outer alignment

Post by daniel »

Hi when you say 'Camera' I guess you speak about the scanner sensor itself? (not the associated camera used to color the 3D points for instance? In this case you could import calibrated pictures with the Bundler format for instance but you won't get very far apart from a nice visualization).

Otherwise, if you want to register scans in CloudCompare then you'll need either visible targets in each scans and their corresponding coordinates. However I hugely recommend to do this in the manufacturer's dedicated software. In CloudCompare it's easier to import or work with single point clouds already 'in place'. For the outer alignment, I guess you can study the local discrepancies between scans on the overlapping parts with it, or compute the local deformations if you have a 3D (theoretical) model of the building of course. But I think that's all.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin