attach C2C scalar field to exported .las

Feel free to ask any question here
jkg6655

attach C2C scalar field to exported .las

Post by jkg6655 »

First off congrats on the software, its brilliant.

I am comparing the distance between two point clouds using the C2C tool. The output I get is the 'C2C absolute distances' scalar field. Is there a way to save or attach this scalar field to the original .las file? My goal is to take these results and bring it into another software program. It appears that I can export the C2C distances in a .txt or csv file. Can I also do the same thing for .las files?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
daniel
Site Admin

Re: attach C2C scalar field to exported .las

Post by daniel »

Hi,

In fact, LAS files can be associated to several scalar fields but their role and format is pre-determined and you can't change them.

In CloudCompare, you just have to give any scalar field the "right" name (case sensitive) before saving the cloud as a LAS file. But your problem will be to choose the right field. And a bigger problem might be that there's only one 64 bits 'double' field that could be used to store a distance field properly: "Time".

There' a "User Data" field but it's only 8 bits (it could work if your distance field was only integer values between 0 and 255 (hum, hum).

For the records, here are all the LAS fields supported by CC and their size (in bits)
  • "Intensity" (16)
  • "Return Number" (3)
  • "Number of Returns" (3)
  • "Scan Direction" (1)
  • "Flightline Edge" (1)
  • "Classification" (8)
  • "Scan Angle Rank" (8)
  • "User Data" (8)
  • "Point Source ID" (16)
  • "Red" (16)
  • "Green" (16)
  • "Blue" (16)
  • "Time" (64)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jkg6655

Re: attach C2C scalar field to exported .las

Post by jkg6655 »

Thank you very much for the information Daniel!