Export primitive models? Workarounds?

Feel free to ask any question here
kramretsof

Export primitive models? Workarounds?

Post by kramretsof »

Hi there,

I recently dowloaded CloudCompare, one word... AWESOME! I've used it several times now to generate some stunning visuals (Ambient Ocllusion filter really bring out the scan detail) for engineering purposes.

But how cool would it be if you could export primitive models / geometry (that have been best fit to scan data) out to 3D CAD software!

My predicament is that I've been using a Faro Focus 3D scanner for industrial plant applications for several months now, but I am somewhat limited in what I can do with the Faro 'Scene' software when it comes to geometry extraction / creation.

Yes, 'Scene' registers scans no problem, but what I'd really like to be able to do more efficiently is:

- quickly produce primitive 3D models / shapes (within context of a point cloud) that can be easily 'best fit' to scan data (say to match items like tanks, pipes, structural steel, etc)

- export these primitive shapes to 3D CAD solid modelling software for use as a 'skeletal reference structure' for aiding with detailed design.

- import detail design back into pointcloud for detailed analysis (clash detection, visual comparisons, motion studies, etc)

Does anybody know of any software that might be worth looking at for the workflow explained? I've trialled Pointools, but I would prefer not to work within the Microstation environment for modelling. Rhino (without Pointools for Rhino plug-in - now discontinued) doesn't seem to be able to handle basic PTS files I send to it (unless I spend all day clipping out scan detail first), and I do not have the budget for Geomagic or RapidForm.

Any hints / tips for software to look at?

cheers

Mark
jfhullo

Re: Export primitive models? Workarounds?

Post by jfhullo »

You should definitively have a look at Trimble Realworks. Seems to do the job you're working on!

JF
kramretsof

Post by kramretsof »

Thanks for the tip!

Funnily enough, I ended up downloading Realworks yesterday...... no trial license avail online though, so have made contact with reseller.... fingers crossed it does what I'm after (and isn't too pricey!)
jfhullo

Post by jfhullo »

Please keep us informed of your tests and feedback on realworks for your needs. I'm sure people of the community will enjoy your shares!

regards,

JF