Opening las/laz files

Feel free to ask any question here
JRM

Re: Opening las/laz files

Post by JRM »

Hi Daniel, I have seen that the last CC release now depends on PDAL to open LAS/LAZ file. It means that files using the 1.4 version can be read but it seems there is a limit in the point type allowed (only 0 to 3). Is it an hard limit or is there a way to open these file without downgrading their point type ?

These files have been produced with riegl's riprocess and are of point type 9, the 2.8 release notes were mentionning an initial support of FWF data corresponding to this type.

regards,
jr
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, CC has actually two ways to load/save LAS files. The default one is indeed relying on PDAL and even if it can load LAS 1.4 files, it cannot load FWF data. I am not the author of this component, therefore I'm not sure about the exported formats... I assumed it was automatically selected bu PDAL based on the exported contents:
https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... Filter.cpp

The other component is based on LASlib and is only working on Windows I believe (you have to change the file filter when you load/save a file). This component is able to load LAS 1.3+ and 1.4 files with FWF data. This filter can save points with format up to 10.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
JRM

Post by JRM »

Thanks for the clarification, changing the driver in the import dialog to the laslib's one is the solution. The FWF data cannot be read but that because the file headers are lacking several descriptors.