Importing surface pointcloud to the same cood system as underground point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
arjun

Importing surface pointcloud to the same cood system as underground point cloud

Post by arjun »

Hi,

I carried out an underground mine survey 2 years ago, and recently carried out a drone survey of the surface above so I now have 2 point clouds.

I'm looking to import the surface point cloud but as CC shifted the underground survey to a local coord system the new shift for the surface cloud means that it is in the wrong place.

Is there a way to calculate the shift I need to apply to the surface cloud in order for it to match the underground survey so they are both on the same grid?

Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Importing surface pointcloud to the same cood system as underground point cloud

Post by daniel »

The 'global shift' that was used 2 years ago should have been stored if you saved the data as a BIN file (was it the case?). In this case you can read it in the cloud properties. And then use the same when you load the new cloud.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
arjun

Re: Importing surface pointcloud to the same cood system as underground point cloud

Post by arjun »

Thanks Daniel,

This is strange. I've had to re-align the scan as the original shift was not stored in the BIN file.

I've re-aligned the scan, but when I copy the transformation matrix to the surface cloud it is still in the wrong place.

Any ideas?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum, that's weird.

Did you copy the transformation from the console or from the "Transformation history" field? (you should prefer the first one I would say).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin