Autosave

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
Youngtimer

Autosave

Post by Youngtimer »

Dear Daniel,

would it be possible to build up an autosave function that can be switched on / off inside the settings menu? CC keeps crashing at least once a day and all work that has been done up to that is gone forever (I'm not a lazy person when it's about pressing the save-button, but especially at scans with several single files I keep forgetting to save a single file). Of course this autosave file should be saved in a temporary folder, so it doesn't affect the real file when it's not needed.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Autosave

Post by daniel »

Normally I'd prefer to fix the bugs ;)

I'll add this to the TODO list anyway.

Why is CC crashing? Is it reproducible?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Youngtimer

Post by Youngtimer »

No, not reproducable at all. For example, I'm segmenting some parts so I can delete everything that's around my object. 20 times this works fine, and without changing anything suddenly CC crashes. I open the file again, do exactly what I've done before - and it works like nothing happened. Same for the rotation tool etc. Also sometimes the small menu for the segmentation tool dissapears after I've segmented a part and I can't go on, so I have to press the Escape key and all changes are gone... which wouldn't matter, but also in this case sometimes CC crashes (After I've pressed the Esc-key).
I'm fine with that, most of the time it works good and I'm always aware that this is a Freeware tool so I'm perfectly fine with some faults - but some kind of Autosave could really help ;)
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Freeware or not we don't want any bug! Don't hesitate to report them anytime you cross one.

When the icons disappear, can you still use the shortcuts? ('i' - to segment inside, 'o' to segment outside, space bar to pause, enter to close the tool, etc. - see the wiki for more info).

And what version are you using? And what kind of entities are you segmenting?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Youngtimer

Post by Youngtimer »

Sorry for the late answer, I had no Internet last week ;)

Of course there should be no bugs at all in the software, but as I've worked as a programmer myself I'm aware that there are sometimes bugs that you can't fix. But I'll report if I can find a reconstructable bug. Do you have any logging file or anything like that that I could send you to help you?

I use 2.6.1 (64 bit) on a 64Bit Windows 7 System. I'm segmenting points from a combined/merged point cloud - as I said, this works pretty fine for most of the times, but sometimes this leads to a crash. This was nearly the same on my old PC with 32Bit Windows 7, so I'm afraid that I can't reconstruct what's happening in this moment. But regarding to the missing menu I'll take a look if the shortcuts are still working.
DM_Scan

Post by DM_Scan »

I know this is a very old post and primarily about Autosave (which would be a great feature), but if anybody still has that problem with the small dialog boxes disappearing while working with a tool, I have found that changing your application window from Maximum to "restore down" helps the menu box reappear, and then you can maximize the window again. Hope this helps.