brighten a point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
wgrimes

brighten a point cloud

Post by wgrimes »

I have a point cloud that someone else prepared and it comes in extremely dark. I can change the display settings and brighten it when in CC, but when I export to .pts file it seems to become dark again. There is no color, I just have intensity...so I'm use grey scale.

How can I apply a permanent 'brighten' to the point cloud??
Aarie

Re: brighten a point cloud

Post by Aarie »

Hi,
afaik this is not possible in Cloudcompare. Daniel, any chance it might be supported in future?
But you can do this in Meshlab. Under "Filters - Color Creation and Processing" you have various filters for brightness, contrast, white-balance etc.
Cheers!
Arie
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sorry for the late answer: you should check the 'Levels' tool: https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... s%5CLevels (fixed link)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Aarie

Post by Aarie »

Hi Daniel,
I don't quite understand what the level tool (or the linked zoom tool) has to do with manipulating the scalar values?

Have you considered implementing color manipulation features for pointclouds (similar to those in Meshlab)? It would seem that this would be a quite useful feature for a software dedicated to pointclouds. ;)
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 13157 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sorry I fixed the link above ;)

And I read the original message too fast, I thought it was a color issue. If it's a scalar field issue, then changing the display parameters in CloudCompare won't actually change the intensity values indeed. Therefore once exported, the values won't change...

To change the values, you would have to use the 'SF Arithmetic' tool: https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... Arithmetic

You can for instance multiply the scalar values by a constant value (X2, X3, etc.)

And apart from the 'Level' tool, we don't have much tools to modify the colors. But of course, anyone motivated can do it as it's an open source tool ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Aarie

Post by Aarie »

Thanks for the info!
Cheers