Simple measurement tool

All ideas and stuffs that should be developed
the_eich

Simple measurement tool

Post by the_eich »

Hello all, Daniel,

First, thanks a bunch for maintaining and creating cloud compare! We are currently using it in order to create a proof of concept of our workflow to be. Once that is working, which I am confident it will, I will make a substantial donation to this effort!

Currently it is possible to find distances between two points that are being picked in the cloud, which is great. I was wondering whether it would be possible to enhance this by having a typical measurement tool as you have in CAD software. The idea is that that starting point is clicked and that dynamically on screen is shown what the distance of the point the cursor is hovering over versus that initial point. Very much like the distance metering that can be done in google maps for example.

I need to get some reference point markings being done, having such a tool available would dramatically decrease my trial and errors :).

Thanks and regards,
Hendrik
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Simple measurement tool

Post by daniel »

That's actually an interesting proposal. The biggest issue is about the speed of the picking process. It won't be always super reactive so I wonder how to let the user switch it on and off.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
the_eich

Re: Simple measurement tool

Post by the_eich »

Thanks for your reply Daniel, and sorry for replying this late.
Concerning the picking process: perhaps we just need to use a keyboard shortcut for it to pick a point and immediately report on the delta position versus the start point each time when it is struck.

I want to mark points in the pointcloud efficiently that I can later on use in order to draw sections and a polyline on. The marking of these points is always driven by its distance in xyz terms versus a starting point, that is basically the use case.