Open a pre-saved las 1.4

Feel free to ask any question here
Bogdan

Open a pre-saved las 1.4

Post by Bogdan »

Hi Daniel,

First, I want to thank you for CC. It's a great software!
Usually, I open a .ply file, geo reference it using GCP and then I save the file as LAS cloud. All working well.
The problem I had is that when saving as LAS 1.3 or 1.4 (hoping for 1.4) I can't reopen that file, getting " PDAL exception: readers.las: Unsupported LAS input point format:7"
I'm using CC 2.11 alpha
Is there a fix for this? Do you want more details?

Thank you,
Bogdan
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Open a pre-saved las 1.4

Post by daniel »

Interesting... I'll investigate first on my side and I'll get back to you!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Oh I understand now: if you save the file with the "LAS 1.3 or 1.4" filter, then it will indeed create a LAS file with extended point formats (point record type above 6).

But the standard LAS filter (based on PDAL) doesn't support these formats. So you have to use the loading dialog and make sure the same "LAS 1.3 or 1.4" filte is selected.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks a lot!
Jälv

Post by Jälv »

Hello,

To be more specific about what happens, PDAL knows how to read point format 6,7,8 (but not 9,10 with waveforms) it was the point of replacing the old lib that was previously used with PDAL.

What happens when you save a file with the LAS 1.3 / 1.4 filter is that it saves a file with point format 6 (in this case at least) but version 1.2, something that is 'technically' possible but I don't really think (I don't know be to fair) that this is something allowed by the LAS specification as the point format 6,7,8 were introduced in the version 1.4 of the spec.

So PDAL sees a file of version 1.2 but with point format 6 and it doesn't like that.