Entry Point Not Found Error

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Laserbrain

Re: Entry Point Not Found Error

Post by Laserbrain »

I ran the new Alpha and installed FARO LS with it and I'm not getting the entry point not found error.

But when I try and load an lsproj file I get the "...lsproj could not be loaded (no workspace) error
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Do you have the CloudCompare.exe.manifest file next to CloudCompare.exe? (and with the right version inside: 1.1.701?)

This 'no workspace' error is strange... Do you have other FARO files that you can test?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

Here are the contents of the manifest:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<assembly xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1' manifestVersion='1.0'>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type='win32' name='FARO.LS' version='1.1.505.3' processorArchitecture='amd64' publicKeyToken="1d23f5635ba800ab"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

Ok, I replaced the 1.1.505.3 with 1.1.701 in the manifest, but it appears to have no effect.

However, I've tried a bunch of different LSPROJ files and some of them load. My guess is that LSPROJ files created with the latest version of FARO Scene are getting the "no workspace" error. I see that you mentioned that the newest FARO LS is 1.1704.x. How do I get that? Google did not help. Can you include it with your CC installation?

The LSPROJ I got to load is over a year old.

One last thing I noticed is looking in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_faro.ls_1d23f5635ba800ab_1.1.701.1_none_3591adaf356ae9b1
(that's the only FARO folder in winsxs)
There is no xerces-c_3_2.dll
Only a xerces-c_3_1.dll
Attachments
FAROsceneVersion.jpg
FAROsceneVersion.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 10444 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Indeed the '1.1.701.1' version doesn't depend on the xerces-c_3_2.dll file, this is why I chose to roll back to it so as to avoid the conflict with GDAL...

But it's one year old at least, so you are probably right, it might not be able to load more recent FARO files... And one of the previous version of the 2.11.alpha (installer) version was incorporating the latest SDK (FARO LS 2019.1.2.2552 x64 Setup). But it was the version that was conflicting with xerces-c_3_2.dll...
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

Makes sense.

My friend is using CC 2.10 beta (FARO LS 1.1.503.3), and FARO scene 2019.0.

Strangely he has been able to open my LSPROJ files created with the newest version of FARO Scene 2019.1.x?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum, Faro is using this WinSxS mechanism which is good in a way, but it also looks a little bit like Windows dark magic... And I'm not surprised that we have all these issues...

Can you maybe send me one recent file that fails on your side? (admin[at]cloudcompare.org)
BrianBrill

Post by BrianBrill »

Hello Daniel,
Thank you very much for creating this software!... However, I am also having this issue of Entry Point Not Found Error. Is there a work around yet.
thank you,
Brian
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Have you tried the latest 2.11.alpha version?

You may also have to manually uninstall the FARO SDK versions above v1.1.701.1 (well, if no other program is relying on it of course). And restart the computer afterwards.
jedfrechette

Post by jedfrechette »

As a user who has been using .fls files to move scans between Faro's software and various other applications for years I've been watching this thread closely. Because of the pain caused by issues like this (which crop up continuously with every software that uses Faro's SDK) and the fact that the format changes with basically every new release of Faro's software we're actively moving away from the practice of using it as an exchange format. Although I have no specific knowledge of it's internal workings, the way the .fls format interacts with other applications reminds me of the bad old days when Microsoft's .doc format was essentially defined as "A memory dump of how MS Word version X.x stores data." Using a better format to exchange data seems like the real solution to these problems.

Given the above and the limited resources available to CloudCompare, I can't help but wonder how much time should be devoted to maintaining .fls support. Perhaps if it is important enough to Faro's users then they could contact Faro and request that they devote some resources to maintaining fls support within CloudCompare. I'm sure Daniel would be happy review pull requests.
Jed
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

Email sent with a FARO scene. Hopefully 55mb isn't too large for your mailbox.

It was too big. Here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss9kxywsk5grv ... y.rar?dl=0
Last edited by Laserbrain on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.