import polyline as continuous line - not segments

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
hairyfreak

import polyline as continuous line - not segments

Post by hairyfreak »

Hi,

I'm not 100% this is a bug, but whenever I try and import a polyline saved as OBJ of DXF from another program (Blender just now) they come in as hundreds of tiny segments rather than 1 polyline. I've tried every iteration of export settings I can find but no change.

CC also is happy writing such a single line to PLY, but opening it results in a 'no data' message. Is it expecting faces in a ply, not just edges?

Thanks.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: import polyline as continuous line - not segments

Post by daniel »

Well, OBJ doesn't have the 'polyline' concept (just 'segments'). Therefore it's logical.

But for DXF, it should be possible to extract a single polyline... That's a little odd. Is it maybe more a limitation on Blender's side?

Note that an other option to import a polyline is simply an ASCII file, with one vertex per line (and use the '.poly' extension when loading the file in CC, or force the corresponding filter in the file loading dialog).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
hairyfreak

Re: import polyline as continuous line - not segments

Post by hairyfreak »

Thanks,

You're probably right about blender and the dxf, the exporter plugin does come with some warnings
I'll give the .poly a go