DXF Contour Lines and Fusion 360

Feel free to ask any question here
longshot

DXF Contour Lines and Fusion 360

Post by longshot »

I have a pro copy of Fusion 360. Used it for a while and always wondered why there isn't a clear work process between scan data and fusion 360 for reconstruction.

I've got a scanner that outputs cvs, ply, xyz files. The scanner is nothing fancy. I'd like to use a combination of cloud compare and fusion 360 for cad reconstruction.

Options:
1. there is a way to import xyz data as point/vertex in fusion. I could use that data to build planes and sketches etc. The problem is 200k or more points and the system chokes. Its just too many working points. Its possible to cut the scans down but the area is so small or sampled so sparcely that its really not worth it.

2. Convert the scan data to a mesh and then import that mesh to fusion 360. I could take sketch slices of the scan or i could convert to brep surface and proceed with parametric modeling. The issue is i'd rather not mesh the scan have have to deal with a giant stl file.

3. This is the one I need help with. CC has the ability to slice the scan and build contour lines at each of the slices. The idea here is to export the dxf files from CC with those contours and then import them in Fusion. I can use the contours to build walls and other geometry.
Problem: i'm unable to import the dxf (either by upload function or insert dxf function). The DXF is a 3D type DXF such that Fusion can't recognize.

Does anyone have a work around to import 3D dxf contours from CC into fusion 360?

Blender seems to open dxf just fine but exporting them into obj, stl, or ect reveals nothing upon import.