Import multi-layered point clouds (in .txt format)

Feel free to ask any question here
Nedix

Import multi-layered point clouds (in .txt format)

Post by Nedix »

Hello,

Short: Is there any way to import multiple layers in one go (without the need to select all while importing) and stack them as Children? Something like a zip file containing all layers.

Long: I have point clouds with points ranging from 200k to 2mil. The points are differentiated from each other via coordinates (duh) and colors (max 100). The colors represent something specific, they are not for just visual representation, so I need them. What I can do right now is manually export each color specific point cloud in a txt file and import them all with Ctrl + A in CC. The thing is that each point cloud creates its own "folder" structure in CC (see 1st image - simplified to 4 clouds). After a little bit of tinkering and moving stuff around I can arrange them as I would like them to have (see 2nd pic).
The reason for this arrangement is that I need to be able to easily select/deselect layers/clouds. It needs to be easy because I will have clouds with roughly 100 layers which I need to select/deselect (subsequently becoming visible or not). "My" limitation is that I have to work with txt point clouds because that's my source. I know that .e57 files have this structure in them but I cannot generate this format.

Coming back to the beginning - it would be great if I could import the layers in one go as a zip file and they stack each other as the 2nd pic.

PS: also, if anyone has any other advise or knows how to convert or join multiple txt in one e57 then I'd be more than glad to hear how
Attachments
2nd.jpg
2nd.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
1st.jpg
1st.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Import multi-layered point clouds (in .txt format)

Post by daniel »

Yes, that's not possible for the moment.

And I'm not sure how we would do that... especially since the dialog is the native OS "open file" dialog, and we can't add options or checkboxes...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Nedix

Post by Nedix »

Thank you for the quick answer Daniel. That's a pity, at least for me.
So the alternatives are:
1. re-engineer my point cloud in a .e57 format
2. re-enginner my point cloud to any other format which can work the same way as #1
3. find another way to automatically add Child layers. BTW, how DO I add Child from the menu? I understand the logic but how do I do it from the menu (instead of dragging things around)? Is there a way to do it via command line?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

For 3, there's no way to do this either :D
Daniel, CloudCompare admin