M3C2 - shortcut for use with a large number of point cloud

For any question about plugins!
Loic3913

M3C2 - shortcut for use with a large number of point cloud

Post by Loic3913 »

Hello,

I'm using CloudCompare to calculate distances between a reference point cloud and others point clouds, for that I use the plugin M3C2. However I have about 1500 point clouds to compare, and it is quite long to do it "manually" for a large number of point clouds (i.e clic on M3C2 plugin and select the reference point cloud and one to compare), would you have any suggestions to reduce the time of manipulation for that ?

Also, once I have M3C2 output I would like to set the same "SF display params" for all output, it can be done on each output separately but still quite long, would there be a way to set these SF parameters once by selecting all the output ?

Finally I would like to do a video with theses outputs, the "movie icon" looks not available as the outputs are not from the same point cloud, I can export images of theses with "render to file" and use a movie maker but it is still quite long with a large number of file, would you have any suggestions for that ?

Many thanks and regards,
Loïc
daniel
Site Admin

Re: M3C2 - shortcut for use with a large number of point cloud

Post by daniel »

So for the 2 first points, you can use the command line tool to automate the process (so for both M3C2 and setting a custom absolute Color Scale).

But for the last one, there's currently no such option...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Loic3913

Post by Loic3913 »

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. To automate the process I would like to use a for/while loop to process all the files in the command line, but after looking for documentation or topic about I can't find the syntax to write this, do you know how is the syntax for a for or while loop in the command line ?

Best,
Loïc
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

For using the animation plugin, are you first selecting saved viewports? I just tried and had no troubles creating video with an arbitrary number of clouds/meshes/CCPrimitives visible.
the "movie icon" looks not available
the only thing that makes the availability change is whether or not viewports are selected:

Code: Select all

void qAnimation::onNewSelection(const ccHObject::Container& selectedEntities)
{
	if ( m_action == nullptr )
	{
		return;
	}

ViewPortList viewports = GetSelectedViewPorts( selectedEntities );

if ( viewports.size() >= 2 )
	{
		m_action->setEnabled( true );
		m_action->setToolTip( getDescription() );
	}
	else
	{
		m_action->setEnabled( false );
		m_action->setToolTip( tr( "%1\nAt least 2 viewports must be selected.").arg( getDescription() ) );
	}
}
To create a viewport either go to the menu option "Display/Save viewport as object" or use the "Ctrl+V" keyboard shortcut.
Loic3913

Post by Loic3913 »

WargodHernandez wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm For using the animation plugin, are you first selecting saved viewports? I just tried and had no troubles creating video with an arbitrary number of clouds/meshes/CCPrimitives visible.
Yes I select the viewports and I can use the animation plugin but at the end the video is not made up of these viewports. From my side it depends on what is "toggled" in the DB tree, if one or several clouds are toggled then in the video there is only one image of that (i.e only the displayed image on the 3D view), and if nothing is toggled in the DB tree then there is nothing in the video (only blue background). Whereas with viewports from the same cloud it works (if the cloud is toggled in DB tree).
Loic3913

Post by Loic3913 »

daniel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm setting a custom absolute Color Scale).
I use the command -FILTER_SF (see picture below) for that and it works to filter min and max value, but I would like to set in addition a min and max saturation value (SAT_MIN and SAT_MAX), but I don't understand what is the syntax, I try some commands but it doesn't work, has anyone used it before and know the syntax ?

Many thanks,
Loïc

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I don't think you can set the saturation with the -FILTER_SF command.

But you can easily with a custom (absolute) color scale: https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... es_Manager
Daniel, CloudCompare admin