Interpolate circular planes

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
Dave86

Interpolate circular planes

Post by Dave86 »

Hi,
first of all, thanks a lot for the huge effort you and the team put in the development in this amazing piece of software.

I have a suggestion/request for a new functionality, or rather, the update of an existing one.
CC allows planes to be interpolated within group of points, providing the orientation and size of such planes.

Would it be possible to include in the exported data (ie, the CSV produced by the "batch export->export plane info command") the radius of the circle that encloses the selected points (in addition to the width and height of the enclosing rectangle)?

This would be incredibly useful for structural geology analyses. The reason is that geological structures are conceptually assumed to be circles that produce traces at the intersection with the ground surface: the radius of the plane is referred to as the "persistence" of the geological structure, which is quite difficult to derive from the size of the enclosing rectangle (ie, it cannot simply be simplified inferred from the diagonal).

Thanks a lot,
Davide
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Interpolate circular planes

Post by daniel »

Hum, that's not a straightforward change, so I might not be the one to do the change ;). But of course anyone can do it as it's an open-source tool.

Have you tried with the Compass plugin by the way? Since it has an option to select point within a circle, it may have this information (just a random guess).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Dave86

Re: Interpolate circular planes

Post by Dave86 »

Thanks Daniel,
yes, I've tried that one, but while the points can be selected within a circle, the interpolated plane is still a quadrangular one (unless I am missing something).

That's ok - I will try exporting the coordinates of the points that outline the single facets, and use those to compute the smallest enclosing circle in python or something.

Thanks again,
Davide