Global shift lost if saving mesh in BIN or binary STL

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
DA523

Global shift lost if saving mesh in BIN or binary STL

Post by DA523 »

I import txt pointscloud and during opening dialogue, I apply global shift and enable PRESERVE GLOBAL SHIFT ON SAVE
when I create a mesh from this pointscloud and save mesh into

1- BIN file ,it does not PRESERVE GLOBAL SHIFT ON SAVE
2- STL binary file ,it does not PRESERVE GLOBAL SHIFT ON SAVE
3- STL ASCII file ,it does PRESERVE GLOBAL SHIFT ON SAVE
4- PLY file ,it does PRESERVE GLOBAL SHIFT ON SAVE
suerich93

Re: Global shift lost if saving mesh in BIN or binary STL

Post by suerich93 »

I had the same issue. I assume it only preserves it with .las or .laz
My goal is to align three point clouds and preserve global coordinates to import it in Unity.
I unfortunately saved it as a .bin file and even if I now save it as .las individually, the coordinates are somewhat messed up when I try to import it in Unity. If I open it in CloudCompoare, the .las are aligned fine though.

Is there a way of exporting it with global coordinates to Unity after having made a .bin? Basically, I want to recall the global shift from the .bin file.
Last edited by suerich93 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Global shift lost if saving mesh in BIN or binary STL

Post by daniel »

So normally, Global Shift is 'preserved' for all formats but a few (such as STL binary indeed, since you can only store coordinates on 32 bits).

If you select your clouds or meshes, you should normally see in the entity properties the 'Global shift' information, and the 'Global bounding-box'. Are they with large coordinates? (and different from the local bounding-box)? If yes this means that the Global Shift is preserved.

The only subtlety is that with BIN files, CC remembers the local coordinates as well, and it doesn't let you change the Global Shift when you re-open the BIN file. You have to export the cloud to another format to restore the original global coordinates.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin