Method for Converting X and Y into Radius Scalar Fields

For user feedback or tutorials
pfisk

Method for Converting X and Y into Radius Scalar Fields

Post by pfisk »

I run into the need to filter point clouds by radius measurements (Radius center located at the geometric center of a cylinder for example)
I created a tool for doing this in case any one would like to use it. Free to use, I just ask that if you improve or enhance this method, please share it with everyone here. (See instructions and sample batch file in the attachment.)

Paul

Description
At times it is desirable to be able to visualize or filter a point cloud based on radial values.
This is mostly applicable when manipulating point clouds that have a circular or spherical shape.
The technique below outlines an approach that can be used to convert the standard X and Y coordinates of a point cloud into a scalar field containing radius values.
The technique involves use of the free tool, Cloud Compare, and a few manual steps as well as use of a batch file that has been prepared to do most of the heavy lifting.
The batch file contains calls to the Cloud Compare via command line. The result is a new point cloud with a radius Scalar field based on the data from the input Point Cloud
Attachments
Convert X Y to Radius SF.7z
Instructions and Sample Batch File
(928.84 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Method for Converting X and Y into Radius Scalar Fields

Post by daniel »

Thanks for sharing!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin