[SOLVED] CLI scan name overwrite

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
HeadLess

[SOLVED] CLI scan name overwrite

Post by HeadLess »

Dear Daniel,

i've not seen a possibility to change a scan name using the command line tools.

I don't want to send out e57 files where the scan names are just iterated (like "first_loaded_entity_name - subsampled_merged_subsampled") from the first loaded entity because in our case it can be misleading, if somebody watches that. I can change the file name but thats not enough for us in this case, because if you load that file to a software for example recap it will get the ling not modified name.

I'd be perfectly fine if it would take the name from the SAVE_CLOUDS FILE option. And if the SAVE all at once is used, then skip this behaviour or give an option to use the old or a new naming scheme.

thanks Adam
Last edited by HeadLess on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: CLI scan name overwrite

Post by daniel »

Ah, this option is not available via the command line (also because it's quite hard to manage the case where you have multiple clouds loaded in memory... but mostly because no one ever asked for it).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

daniel wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:06 am Ah, this option is not available via the command line (also because it's quite hard to manage the case where you have multiple clouds loaded in memory... but mostly because no one ever asked for it).
For me it's basically enough to make it work with only one cloud, so i'd be fine without save all cloud function :) If it just rename every clouds to the FILE name then it would be the easiest for me, so i don't need to rewrite a thing :D, but if it needs another param I'm fine with that as well :)
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well the issue is that a single file (.BIN or .E57) can contain multiple cloud... I guess it would be more an option like RENAME_CLOUD and you give the cloud index in addition the name.

But anyway, the challenge will be to actually have the code developed (the TODO list is already huge, and we don't have many contributors...).
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

daniel wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:32 am Well the issue is that a single file (.BIN or .E57) can contain multiple cloud... I guess it would be more an option like RENAME_CLOUD and you give the cloud index in addition the name.

But anyway, the challenge will be to actually have the code developed (the TODO list is already huge, and we don't have many contributors...).
i've never built cloud compare, but if you can direct me in the area, maybe i could do something in this direction. I'm not a C++ dev but i've done lot of small adjustments along the years. I've used PCL library as well, but i didn't feel like to reread all the files, because of this, because it will takes extra time.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I like the spirit ;)

For the command line, everything happens here: https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... mmands.cpp

And if you create a new command (e.g. RENAME_CLOUD) you'll just have to make sure you 'register' it in https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... Parser.cpp
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

Dear Daniel thanks for your guidance,

I created a PR in github. https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCompare/pull/1903
i hope did not break any rules for contributing, and it is not a garbage. :) At least i tested with some cases, it works like i imagined. :)

Best Regards, Adam.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

That was really cool, thanks.