Dynamic light source in animation export

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
marian.marcis

Dynamic light source in animation export

Post by marian.marcis »

It would be interesting to add the option of dynamically changing the position of the custom light source during animation export. Similar to how viewports are created (Ctrl+V), waypoints for the trajectory of the light source could be created through a different shortcut. The resulting animations could be more lively, and there would be no need to render them in other software. Thank you in advance for considering adding such a new feature to an already amazing software.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic light source in animation export

Post by daniel »

That's an interesting idea!

To make things simpler for everyone (hopefully?), we should record the position of the custom light at the same time as the viewport. So that the plugin can still work with viewports only, but it will also interpolate the custom light position during the animation rendering.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

So I've played with this idea today. I've issued a new 2.13.beta version for Windows (now online).

You'll need to capture new viewports (the same way as before) but with the Custom light enabled and well positioned in each viewport. Then you can render the animation as previously (and you can of course keep the viewport/camera still if you are only interested in looking at how the light changes).

I'll let you test.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
marian.marcis

Post by marian.marcis »

You are a genius, Daniel!
Thank you very much for this update, and my apologies for the late response. I had too many things to do this semester, and I realized only today that you replied and made the update. It works exactly how I imagined! Merry Christmas! :)

Marian