Reverse Unroll Feature?

Feel free to ask any question here
LeWinter

Reverse Unroll Feature?

Post by LeWinter »

First, thank you for the wonderful software. I have been utilizing the Unroll tool for volume comparisons of a changing cylindrical feature, creating a meshed point cloud object of my volumetric results. Is there a way to apply an Unroll reversal on my results, restoring the original geometry of my data? I have attached an image of the original point cloud, the unrolled point cloud, and the resulting volume change object overlaid on the unrolled point cloud (red object).
Attachments
Resulting volume change when comparing two unrolled point clouds. This is the red object. I want to return this object to it's actual geometry by reversing the unroll process.
Resulting volume change when comparing two unrolled point clouds. This is the red object. I want to return this object to it's actual geometry by reversing the unroll process.
VolumeChange.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Unrolled point cloud.
Unrolled point cloud.
Unroll_PtCloud.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Image of original point cloud.
Image of original point cloud.
Original_PtCloud.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Reverse Unroll Feature?

Post by daniel »

That's a good idea!

I'll add this to the TODO list right away.

The only issue will be with the triangles on the borders (it will be hard to re-connect them!).But if the cloud is dense, this artifact will be almost not noticeable.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
RyeK

Post by RyeK »

Hi Daniel,

Has the reversal of the unroll tool been implemented? Similar to LeWinter, I am interested in unrolling a cylindrical shaped cloud to perform calculations/functions on the flattened cloud and eventually return it to its original shape.

Thanks.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

No sadly, we didn't get the time (as for most of the items in the TODO list... we miss active support from developers!)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin