Scalar represent a kind of density inside a point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
mariolino

Scalar represent a kind of density inside a point cloud

Post by mariolino »

Hi Daniel,

is there a function in CloudCompare or is it possible to create one with the goal of adding a scalar for each point within a cloud that represents the minimum distance calculated from that point to the nearest point (excluding for each point the calculation with respect to itself) within the same cloud ?
Do you have any suggestions or guidance on this ?
This calculation should locally represent a kind of density of the point cloud ......

Thank you,
Mariolino
HeadLess

Re: Scalar represent a kind of density inside a point cloud

Post by HeadLess »

Tools - > other -> compute geometric features (density number of neighbours)

It won't give distence of closest point, instead it gives a number of points inside a given radius.
mariolino

Post by mariolino »

thanks for the response, that command I know but without the generation of the scalars representing the distance to the nearest point is not very useful to me......
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

If you want the distance to the closest point then you could use the 'Approximate density' in the older versions of CC (see https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php/Density)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mariolino

Post by mariolino »

Daniel many thanks for all,
for the advice I tried in the previous version the command you suggested unfortunately was not what I was hoping for ...
but with a few lines of code with the Python plugin by Thomas Montaigu + SciPy I was able to generate the scalar which is particularly useful for identifying outlier points.