Cloud compare for beam surface deviation

Any question about the main GUI application (frontend)
CMacM

Cloud compare for beam surface deviation

Post by CMacM »

We have a project to survey a recently constructed roof structure which is going to be fitted with a suspended ceiling.
We have been asked to carry out a survey to verify the straightness of the purlins to make sure the suspended ceiling can be fitted correctly.
The survey will be laser scan with generation of point cloud.
Traditionally we would bring into AutoCAD and create reference planes and measure deviation from these but I was wondering if it is possible to use the surface devation tool in CC for each of the purlins as is possible for wall/surface deviation analysis?
Ciara
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cloud compare for beam surface deviation

Post by daniel »

Hi,

I guess this might be possible, but what would be the reference entity? A plane? Multiple planes?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
CMacM

Post by CMacM »

Sorry for radio silence we have been a bit snowed under recently!
I had a meeting with the roofing contractor so I now have an exact specification for the deviation analysis.
I need to be able to create a plane from the four corners of the roof based on a point along the upper and lower end of the two end I-beams, then identify areas within the roof structure where the purlins deviate from this reference plane and mark them up.
If I fit a plane to the point cloud CC places the plane mid way along the height of the I beam but I need to the reference place to be placed at the base of the I beam. Can I pick 4 points at each corner can I create a reference plane from these four points?
Is there a way to create a mesh and export to CAD software?
Ciara
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, you can pick 4 points (with the 'Point list picking' tool - see https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... st_picking) and then export these 4 points as a new cloud.

You can then fit a plane on this cloud. You can also compute the distances between another dense cloud and this plane (I would suggest to use the latest 2.13.beta version, and use the Cloud-to-Primitive method which is much more accurate by the way).

And you can also export the plane to a DXF file (that should be readable by most CAD software). But sadly it might only be loaded as a 'mesh' (polygon) and not a plane.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin