Conversion to LAS (Problem - null bounding-box) - solved

Feel free to ask any question here
subo3

Conversion to LAS (Problem - null bounding-box) - solved

Post by subo3 »

Hey there,

when i'm using the command line mode and want to convert a E57-file into a LAS file, i'm using the following command pattern:

Code: Select all

cloudcompare -SILENT -AUTO_SAVE OFF -C_EXPORT_FMT LAS -O pointcloud.e57 -SAVE_CLOUDS FILE destination/path/to/pointcloud.las 
and it "works", but not really: When i load the resulting "pointcloud.las" into CloudCompare, i don't see any pointcloud but "[ccGLWindow] Entity/DB has a null bounding-box!"

So, is it a problem with my command or is there a problem with converting to LAS via command line mode in general?

Thank you!
Last edited by subo3 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadLess

Re: Conversion to LAS (Problem - null bounding-box)

Post by HeadLess »

Is this a cloud with high coordinates?
if yes use a proper global shift during loading.
try the command below:

Code: Select all

cloudcompare -SILENT -AUTO_SAVE OFF -C_EXPORT_FMT LAS -O -GLOBAL_SHIFT AUTO pointcloud.e57 -SAVE_CLOUDS FILE '"destination/path/to/pointcloud.las"' 
subo3

Post by subo3 »

Is this a cloud with high coordinates?
No, it's not, max values around 1200.

I tried your command but the result is the same. Applying a global shift or not when loading also doesn't seem to make any difference. I noticed the following print during the processing:
[LAS] Will use the minimum bounding-box corner (X, Y) as LAS offset
Still i'm not sure what's wrong, because the input E57 cloud works fine.
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

is it the latest beta? Can you share your cloud? Can you try saving as something else? because las reader/writer were replaced in the 2.13 beta, so maybe we could know the issue is there. Or can you try it with another release 2.12 stable for example?
subo3

Post by subo3 »

I didn't realise there are newer releases of 2.13 than the one i used. I tried the latest one now and it works!
Thanks a lot