Calculating Surface Areas of Open Mesh

Feel free to ask any question here
lucasdkoh

Calculating Surface Areas of Open Mesh

Post by lucasdkoh »

Hi everyone. I've been using CloudCompare for a while to analyze some point clouds I got of sea sponges. You can just see them as unevenly shaped rugs.
1.JPG
1.JPG (59.75 KiB) Viewed 345 times
I want to find the surface area of the sponge. Basically, the area of the top of the 'rug' (not top and bottom). I tried turning it into a mesh with PoissonRecon, which got me a mesh like this:
2.JPG
2.JPG (60.3 KiB) Viewed 345 times
I changed the 'color' to 'scalar field' and then played with the display ranges to get me this, which was pretty much exactly what I wanted - it's a fantastic estimation of the sponge's surface and area:
3.JPG
3.JPG (54.93 KiB) Viewed 345 times
And then I went into Edit -> Mesh -> Measure surface to get my surface area. Of course, I now realize that I don't think I was given the actual surface area of the sponge, instead I got the surface of the yellow box, which the original mesh entirely filled up.

Is there any way I can get the surface area calculation I'm looking for?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Calculating Surface Areas of Open Mesh

Post by daniel »

So after playing with the 'displayed' scalar field range, you should 'Edit > Scalar fields > Filter by value'. This will extract only the visible triangles to a new mesh entity.

Then you can compute the surface of this new mesh.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
lucasdkoh

Post by lucasdkoh »

Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!

Actually now that we're here, would there be a way to measure the perimeter of the mesh?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Not with CloudCompare, sorry!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin