dip /dip direction

Feel free to ask any question here
pmr

dip /dip direction

Post by pmr »

what is the zero and the growing direction of the dip(0-90) and the dip direction(0-360) in a point cloud?
HeadLess

Re: dip /dip direction

Post by HeadLess »

If i recall correctly dip is the angle from the level. Direction is the angle of rotation around Z axis.
pmr

Post by pmr »

From the level upwards or downwards? And where is the zero of the calculated dip direction? North? South? East? I'm having some inconsistences in the dip and dip direction values and must know the origin of the angles to evaluate them.
Thanks for any help.
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

pmr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:42 pm From the level upwards or downwards? And where is the zero of the calculated dip direction? North? South? East? I'm having some inconsistences in the dip and dip direction values and must know the origin of the angles to evaluate them.
Thanks for any help.
You can play with edit -> plane -> create, but since dip is in the range of 0 to 90 it does not matter if it upside or downside. Zero is level 90 is vertical.

dip direction zero when a line/plane is on the x axis and it grows counterclockwise. I think.

Cloud compare does not understand north/east,south etc... it depends on your cloud's coordinate system.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

- Dip direction is measured in 360 degrees, clockwise from North (North being +Y by default)
- Dip angle is always positive
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
pmr

Post by pmr »

Thanks a lot for your answers.