Scalar field and RGB

Feel free to ask any question here
gobi

Scalar field and RGB

Post by gobi »

Hi,I have trouble understanding this. I have point cloud (las) in real colors, RGB. I processed point cloud using primitive factory and cylinder in order to inspect for deviations. That worked well, heatmap colors are showing great results. I want to export point cloud which will keep both original colors but also those from scalar fields. I would use Potree to switch from rgb to scalarfield. How to achieve this? Do export options needs any additional inputs, las file for example. How is that data stored anyway? Thank.
HeadLess

Re: Scalar field and RGB

Post by HeadLess »

You need to assign that to a valid las attribute for example userdata, or use 1.4 las and you probably flag them to export, potree converter will get it converted and you can show them switch your visualization there.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, it's possible to map a scalar field to a standard LAS field (assuming the ranges are compatible), or even exporting it to an extended field.

The issue is that the colors you see in CloudCompare are tied to the current 'color scale' and that only exist in CloudCompare. You may not be able to reproduce the same colors in another SW.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:03 pm Yes, it's possible to map a scalar field to a standard LAS field (assuming the ranges are compatible), or even exporting it to an extended field.

The issue is that the colors you see in CloudCompare are tied to the current 'color scale' and that only exist in CloudCompare. You may not be able to reproduce the same colors in another SW.
Potree is very good to customize, if he needs some help reproducing the same scale i can help with that later if needed. But potree has some very good gradients by default.
gobi

Post by gobi »

Hi, sorry for late reply. I have problem when saving as las/laz. If I flag Scalar Field I get no RGB colors when opening in Potree, i did marked them. When I dont flag scalar field everything is fine. I tried all export settings.

This is what I see in console.

Without scalar field
output attributes:
name offset size
================================================
position 0 12
intensity 12 2
return number 14 1
number of returns 15 1
classification 16 1
scan angle rank 17 1
user data 18 1
point source id 19 2
rgb 21 6
NormalX 27 8
NormalY 35 8
NormalZ 43 8

With flagged scalar field (ShellDeviation)

output attributes:
name offset size
position 0 12
intensity 12 2
return number 14 1
number of returns 15 1
classification 16 1
scan angle rank 17 1
user data 18 1
point source id 19 2
ShellDeviation 21 1