Azimuth

Feel free to ask any question here
BrunaGarcia

Azimuth

Post by BrunaGarcia »

Hi,
I have a .csv cloud that has azimuth values in it, but I'm only have the fields: X,Y,Z,scalar field,RGB colors and Normals to apply to the cloud.
It's possible to implement that or maybe it's already implemented and I just...did not see?

Thanks!

Bruna.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Azimuth

Post by daniel »

How do you define Azimuth values? What is the conversion between them and X, Y, Z?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
BrunaGarcia

Post by BrunaGarcia »

I really don't know how they acquired the data, because the file I have comes from a point cloud that I found on internet.
It seems to me to give a point fixed on the plane XY and the header says "azimuth". Its like the data were acquired and described in a polar coordinate (?).
If I could only give this information to cloudcompare, it means that CC will already know that this point describes a point on the plane XY, where I think Y's axe direction represents the North and X's axe direction represents the East direction.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

When you load the cloud with only the X and Y coordinates (you can disable the last column) do you see a flat cloud that looks ok?

Because what bugs me is that spherical coordinates are generally (rho, theta, azimuth) (where rho is the distance to the point and theta another angle).
BrunaGarcia

Post by BrunaGarcia »

I don't know if I'm thinking well, but..well, you have a XYZ position in space corresponding a position related to the gravitational center of the scanner. What I undestood is that this azimuth will keep XYZ coordinates but will positioning this related to the North and the East. Is like when you reconstruct a point cloud and then you make a transformation to fit the strike and the dip of a rock/cliff.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes but you can't represent a 3D point with only two values (apart if you know that they are all aligned on a plane, or a sphere, etc.).

Therefore if you have an 'azimuth' value, you need at least another angle and probably a range. All I need is to know what your (3?) coordinates are and how you convert them to a 3D Cartesian point.
BrunaGarcia

Post by BrunaGarcia »

Yes, you're right...
I'll search if there is something more in data.
Thank you, Daniel!